Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Gift For You

Yes, I realize that I have not yet blogged about Christmas or New Years but that will have to come later.

This semester I am in a writing class. It's my last GE requirement and I've been dreading taking it for a while but I figure since I'm required to spend time on it I may as well learn something from it. I hope to improve not only my writing voice and technique, but more importantly my critical thinking skills, because fundamentally writing is just thinking articulated. In order to be a good writer one must be a good thinker. Honestly, I consider myself to be a bad thinker which is why I think I'm a bad writer. How can I be a bad thinker? Well, coming up with original ideas about something I'm not particularly interested in is hard for me. So maybe if I take more interest in the topics I'm writing about I will be a better thinker.

I'm really just writing this post to help me with a writing assignment. For this assignment I am required to give something of "value" away (cannot be simply time) and analyze and articulate the experience.

As I was contemplating what valuable thing I could give away without breaking the bank, I remembered something said by Elder Eyring in the Christmas devotional before bearing his testimony. He said "The most precious gift I have to give is my witness of the Savior." Obviously, Elder Eyring's testimony has great value to him, and yet he is so willing to give it to others. I feel that I don't share my testimony as often as I could.

Does something gain more value the more you give it away? If I had a skill for carpentry, would that skill be more valuable the more I used it for others? Yes, because I can get more from it than just something made of wood, whether that is money, gratitude, or friendship. Also, it is more valuable because I am using it to please someone else who I hope will be satisfied and appreciate my skill. It also has more value to others as they benefit from my gift. Therefore, the value of that skill grows exponentially as I give it away more. If I had a garden full of delicious fresh fruits and vegetables, would those vegetables be more valuable if I gave them away? According to the law of supply and demand, my garden of vegetables has little value to me because I have so many, therefore my demand is small. But to someone else who does not have a garden, the demand for vegetables is high, therefore the value of my vegetables goes up. And as I sell or give more of them away, the vegetables I keep have more value because they are less replaceable. The concept holds true: the value of something grows as it is given away.

My testimony does have great value to me, but according to this principle, if I give it away the value of it will grow both for me and the person receiving. I will test this principle. I will give my testimony to as many people as I can. First my husband, then the blog world, then the facebook world, and I will also prepare a written testimony for my future children to read as they grow.

I know that my redeemer Jesus Christ lives and has a glorified resurrected body of flesh and bone. I know that He is the only way to salvation. He has given us every blessing we enjoy in this life and the next, and through Him we feel the greatest joy one can ever feel. I know He loves me with a perfect love and that He also loves every soul. I am filled with deep gratitude when I think of His selfless and loving sacrifice for the world. His suffering in Gethsemane and on the cross are their own testimony of His great love. While I do not understand fully how one perfect Man's sacrifice can enable so many imperfect beings to also obtain His glory, I know that every promise made by God will be kept and that through Christ's atonement every person can be saved and have glory in heaven. I know He lived and died for us so that we may return to the Father's presence.

I know that God, my Heavenly Father lives also with a glorified body of flesh and bone. I know that He loves every soul including myself more than we can fathom. I know that I am His daughter and because I am his daughter I have a divine inheritance that I can claim if I am true and faithful to all of his commandments. I know that His great plan of happiness is perfect and that if I am faithful I will live again with Him in the Celestial Kingdom. I know that He sent His literal son, Jesus Christ, because He loved the world enough to sacrifice Him that we all may return to Him.

I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet in latter days. I know the Book of Mormon which he translated from ancient records is the word of God. I know the Bible is also the word of God and the miracle by which these two books withstood time and are with us today also testifies of itself. I know that temples are God's holy houses on Earth and the covenants and ordinances performed in the temple are sacred, ordained of God and the only way we may return to Him. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the one true church and it is run by God through prophets and leaders called by Him. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet of God and that the twelve apostles are also prophets, seers, and revelators.

I know that I can be with my husband and my (future) children eternally. I know that the family is central to God's plan for us. I know that the roles of mother and father, wife and husband, are the most important and sacred roles we will ever have. I know that if I or you fail to fulfill family responsibilities, we will be held accountable by God on judgement day. I know that children are a gift from God given to parents to care for in righteousness and parents have the responsibility to teach their children the gospel of Christ. I know that the greatest joy one can experience is found in the family.

I know all these things because the Spirit has testified it to me and he will testify the same things to you if you ask God sincerely with faith. I say these things in the name of my beloved Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mel, that was a really great analysis, and a really great thought from President Eyring. Thank you for sharing your testimony with me in particular. Even if we know the same truths, hearing (or reading) them again and again really lifts my mood and reminds me how truly blessed we are to have this knowledge. This might be one of your most rewarding college experiments.

<3, Ashlie

Krist Garcia said...

That is beautiful! Thank you for sharing Mel!